Monday 5 February 2018

Overcoming Stress, Anxiety and Worry

Ever wondered what the bible means when it says things like, "do not be anxious about anything" or, "do not worry about tomorrow" and "do not let your hearts be troubled" (Philippians 4:16, Matthew 6:25-34, John 14:27).
Could it be that the bible is saying just that? could it be that the implication thereof is true? Could we really live a live free of worry, anxiety and stress?
I remember a time back, I had just finished my first year of Bible school and I came home for the holidays. It was a real struggle to make it through the first year due to finances, and it was putting a real strain on the family. I came back and I decided that I wasn't going to continue studying but rather I would stay and help my family.
After three months of no work I started going into depression. I became so anxious that I couldn't eat, this went on for about four weeks. For four week I laid in my bed staring at the ceiling, for four weeks I went with out eating, for four weeks all I thought about was how bad my life was and how unfairly life was treating me.
And then, as I laid there, thinking about my life, I heard God ask me," Salem, Is your worrying solving anything, what good is worrying if everything remains the same?"
Why am I telling you this?
I want you to know that I know how it feels to worry, and know what is like to be paralyzed by anxiety, and I know how stress can blind us from seeing the good that God always has in place for us. I would like to share what God has taught me concerning worry, anxiety and stress, and how you can overcome.
Anxiety, worry and stress are all products of our meditation or our thoughts, it is natural for negative thoughts to come our way, and it is healthy to allow them to pass through, this can makes us aware of our emotions, state of mind, and what we need to work on concerning ourselves. However the problem comes when we harbor these negative thoughts.
Hears is three steps that helped me conquer.
First; We need to know that worry does not solve anything, all worry does is take our attention off the solution and makes us focus on the problem. Which then becomes the meditation of our heart, and we tend to see more of what we meditate on.
Second; We need to recognize what God is doing when we facing problems and have faith in his word that; He makes all things work together for the good of his children (Romans 8:28). When we start thinking positively and seeing the good that can come out of our situations we are more likely to trust God to do his work.
And finally, Pray and believe God has heard you. Philippians 4:6-7 New International Version (NIV)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Prayer is a form of meditation, and it frees your mind from trying to do what you can not do and entrusts the situation to God.
That is it for today, I hope it helped, drop a comment or a question and I'll get back to you soon.

-Salem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have an effective and Productive week!

Have an effective and Productive week! Have you ever felt like you are too busy, and tired? Have you ever felt like you have too much ...